If You Know The History: 22nd May 1943 Celtic 3 Third Lanark 0 Charity Cup Final

In season 1942-43, Celtic had finished 10th in the war-time Southern League and had failed to qualify from their section in the embryonic League Cup. They had also lost to Rangers twice in cup competitions, firstly by 2-1 in the first round of the Glasgow Cup, then more embarrassingly by 8 goals to one in a two-legged tie in the second round of the Summer Cup.

There was, though, better news in the Charity Cup, where Celtic had fine wins against Queens Park – 3-0 in round one – and Clyde – 3-1 in round two – to put them into the final, where Third Lanark would be the opponents.

The match was played on this day in 1945, in front of 25,000 spectators at Hampden. In terms of team balance and forward superiority, Celtic soon proved streets ahead. Third Lanark defended courageously but never threatened in attack and Celtic went in at the interval one-up, thanks to a well-placed strike by inside-left Charlie McGinlay.

By this time, Thirds were down to 10-men, having lost their captain Blair through injury and although they started the second half brightly, Celtic soon took control once more and scored two further goals, the first again from McGinlay and the second a spectacular effort by outside-left Hugh Long, after a run in which he beat four opponents. At 0-3 down, there was no way back for the Hi Hi and Celtic picked up the Charity Cup for the 24th time in the club’s history

Team; Miller, Hogg, Dornan, Lynch, McLaughlin, Corbett, Delaney, McPhail, Rae, McGinlay, Long.

Jim Craig


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s