The Summer Cup was inaugurated in 1941 at the suggestion of Hibs Chairman Harry Swan with a view to giving a boost to the finances of clubs experiencing difficulties due to the war years. The competition was completed within a six-week period beginning in June and it ran for the rest of the war years.
In the first season, Celtic did not last long in the competition, losing 2-5 to Hibs on 6th June 1941 at Celtic Park and then only managing a 1-0 win at Easter Road a week later to go out 3-5 on aggregate.
A year later – on this day in 1942 – a crowd of 9,000 was at Celtic Park for the visit of Partick Thistle in the first leg of a first-round tie. They saw Celtic win 2-1, thanks to goals by Robert Fisher and John Rilay. A week later, 10,000 were at Firhill for the second leg, when goals by Johnny Crum and Jimmy Delaney gave Celtic a 2-0 win, the 4-1 aggregate score putting them into round two.