Dundee Football Club was founded in 1893, when two local teams – Our Boys and East End – amalgamated to form a new club. Most unusually, they were immediately elected straight into the First Division.
Although Dundee went on to play Celtic regularly in the league in those early years, including an 11-0 win for Celtic in season 1895/96, the clubs had only met once in the Scottish Cup, on 19th January 1894, at the quarter-final stage, when Dundee won 1-0 at Carolina Park, the club’s ground of the period.
On this day in 1901, the sides met again, once more in the quarter-finals and this time at Dens Park Stadium, where Willie Maley put out an eleven of Donnelly, Davidson, Battles, Russell, Loney, Orr, McOustra, Divers, Campbell, McMahon and Findlay.
Dundee were in 10th place in the table, Celtic were 2nd but league positions seldom matter in cup ties and this one was no exception, both sides going hammer and tongs at each other.
The only goal of the game was scored by outside-left Rab Findlay, who had been brought in earlier that season from Kilmarnock for the sum of £450. He made his debut for the club against Morton on 18th August 1900, which was also the Tail o’ the Bank club’s first match in the Scottish League. Unfortunately, knee problems tended to hamper his career but on that afternoon at Dens Park he did get the crucial goal which put Celtic into the semi-final, where they would meet St Mirren.