If You Know The History – 15th April 1911 Celtic 2 Hamilton 0 Scottish Cup Final Replay

In the early days of the 20th century, the Scottish Cup was the competition most appreciated by supporters, so when Celtic reached the final again in 1911 – after having won the trophy in 1904, 1907 and 1908 – their fans were really pleased. The road to the final had not been too comfortable, with few goals scored, even though all the matches were at home; St Mirren (2-0; 5,000), Galston (1-0; 5,000), Clyde in the quarter-final ( 1-0; 5,000) and Aberdeen in the semi-final (1-0; 48,000).

45,000 turned up for the final, held at Ibrox on 8th April 1911, when the Celtic team was Adams, McNair, Dodds, Young, McAteer, Hay, Kivlichan, McMenemy, Quinn, Hastie and Hamilton. On a dry afternoon and a hard pitch, Celtic gave an insipid display, with the crowd probably happy to hear the final whistle. As the underdogs, Hamilton were quite pleased with the 0-0 draw, knowing that they would get another chance in the replay, with also more money coming their way.

That replay, which took place on this day in 1911, a Wednesday, could not have been played in worse conditions, a strong wind and heavy rain making for a very slippery pitch and cutting the attendance to 25,000. Manager Willie Maley had re-shuffled his forward line, dropping John Hastie, moving Willie Kivlichan to inside-right and bringing in Andy McAtee on the right wing.

Losing the toss, Celtic started against the elements and immediately came under severe pressure from the Accies but the defence coped well and Davie Adams only had a couple of saves to make. In the second half, with the wind now behind them, Celtic began to take control, although the forwards, apart from Willie Kivlichan, were not at their best. However, the repeated pressure told on the Hamilton defence, the chances arrived and Celtic scored from two of them – thanks to centre-forward Jimmy Quinn and centre-half Tommy McAtee – to take the Scottish Cup back to Celtic Park for the 7th time.



NB1. Willie Kivlichan had played for Rangers from 1905 until 1907 before moving across the city to Celtic Park, where his career covered the years from 1907 to 1911 – with 22 goals in 92 appearances – before he went south to Bradford. Willie also graduated M.B. CH.B. in 1917, later in the 1920s becoming Celtic’s club doctor; he was in attendance on that tragic day of 5th September 1931 when John Thomson had his fatal accident.

NB2. The small village of Croy in central Scotland fairly played its part that afternoon, as three of the winning Celtic team – Jimmy Quinn, Tommy McAteer and Andy McAtee – all lived there.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s