On this day in 1964, although they did know it at the time, a Celtic eleven travelled across the city to Cathkin for the last-ever league meeting against Third Lanark at that ground.
Cathkin had hosted two Scottish Cup finals (1882, 1886) and it had been a good venue for Celtic in the past. Two Glasgow Cup victories (1891, 7-1 v Clyde; 1894, 2-0 v Rangers ); a Charity Cup win (1895, 4-0 v Rangers); and the Glasgow Exhibition Trophy success ( 3-2 v Rangers 1902) were all played at the ground just along the road from Hampden Park.
On that day in 1964, the Third Lanark players – and their dedicated fans – must have been quite apprehensive as their side was down at the foot of the table, scoring an average of a goal every two games while losing four every match. And they did not get any comfort from the play that day, either, as Celtic won 3-0. The side was Simpson, Young, Gemmell, Murdoch, McNeill, Kennedy, Johnstone, Gallagher, Hughes, Maxwell and Lennox.