81,000 spectators were at Hampden Park on this day in 1951 for the St Mungo Cup Final, when Celtic and Aberdeen were the protagonists. Almost from the start, Celtic had their problems, goalkeeper George Hunter colliding with a post when Aberdeen’s Harry Yorston opened the scoring in 14 minutes and having to leave the field for a while. Bobby Evans took over as temporary cover.
The Dons went 2-up in 35 minutes through outside-right Tommy Bogan, ironically an ex-Celt but, just before the interval, Sean Fallon pulled one back, from a corner on the right taken by Charlie Tully. In 50 minutes, Fallon got his second of the game after a fine run by Jimmy Walsh and soon afterwards, Walsh himself got the winner after good work by Tully.
So, the St Mungo Cup came to Celtic Park, joining the two other ‘one-of’ trophies already there, the Glasgow Exhibition Cup of 1902 and the Empire Exhibition Trophy of 1938. It looked a nice trophy but unfortunately, just after the presentation in the Kelvin Hall, one of the handles came off! Further investigation revealed that the silver cup was second-hand, having its origins in a yachting competition in 1894. This led to a rather chilly – and inconclusive – exchange of letters between the Celtic chairman and the Lord Provost of Glasgow in the pages of the Glasgow Herald. Nothing came of them, however, and the St Mungo Cup still graces the Boardroom at Celtic Park.