Celtic Photo Section blog by Jim Craig: Ibrox 1960

This photograph was taken at Ibrox on the afternoon of 20th August 1960, when the Old Firm met in a League Cup sectional match.

In those days, all the senior clubs in Scotland were drawn in groups of four, playing each other home and away, only the winner going through to the quarter-finals. Celtic had beaten Third Lanark 2-0 at home in their first match before a crowd of 25,000, then drew 1-1 with Partick Thistle at Firhill with 20,000 watching.

This Old Firm clash was each team’s third game and on that afternoon, the teams were;-

Celtic – Frank Haffey, Dunky McKay, Jim Kennedy, Pat Crerand, Billy McNeill, Bertie Peacock, Bobby Carroll, Steve Chalmers, John Hughes, John Divers, Neil Mochan.

Rangers – Billy Ritchie, Bobby Shearer, Eric Caldow, Harold Davis, Doug Baillie, Jim Baxter, Alex Scott, Sammy Baird, Jimmy Millar, Ralph Brand, Davie Wilson.

A crowd of 60,000 was at Ibrox that Saturday afternoon and they witnessed quite an eventful match. 17-year-old John Hughes, having made his debut in that match against Third Lanark, caused havoc in the Rangers defence. Big Doug Baillie – later to become sports editor of the Sunday Post – was not the most mobile of players and was given the run-around by the equally-large but much more nimble John Hughes.

Bobby Carroll gave Celtic the lead in 15 minutes; John Divers made it 2-0 ten minutes later; Jimmy Millar pulled one back for Rangers in 36 minutes; one minute before half-time John Hughes put Celtic 3-1 ahead; and Ralph Brand made it 3-2 after 61 minutes.

The photo graph shows Pat Crerand in trouble, facing his own goal just outside the 6-yard box, with Ralph Brand and Sammy Baird waiting to pounce and Frank Haffey waiting for the pass-back. Now, I do not know the precise time the photograph was taken but Haffey did fracture a toe in the first half and struggled all through the second, so that might have been a reason for Pat’s hesitation. Anyway, the match ended 3-2 in Celtic’s favour, making them the favourites to qualify from the section.

Unfortunately, after beating Third Lanark again in their fourth match – this time at Cathkin and by 3-1 – Celtic lost to Partick Thistle at home by 2 goals to one, setting up the second Old Firm clash ( Rangers had also lost twice) as the section decider. Ground advantage was with Celtic but Rangers, with a change at centre-half, came back from losing an early goal to Steve Chalmers to win 2-1 and go through to the quarter-finals.

Jim Craig


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s